What does "ISHA" stand for? Find out and join the club!

WELCOME TO THE ISHA ("ee-sha') GIRL CLUB - where you don't have to be a girl to join in the journey!

Simply incorporate the following principles into your everyday life and you're "IN"! So, come join the "ISHA GIRL CLUB" and join me in my journey to better overall health of mind, body and spirit!

I
INDIVIDUALITY/WARRIOR II Pose (Virabhadrasana II)
ISHA GIRLS are "bold, beautiful, confident and tuff"...their confidence lies in God and they are "SHINERS". They identify their strengths and unique talents and spend time developing both so they can enlighten and uplift others with their gifts.

S
SERVE others & SPREAD "Aloha"/HEART
ISHA GIRLS know "to find one's life, they must lose it". With "aloha" (LOVE) in their hearts they serve. This humbles them, broadens their perspective and increases their compassion while decreasing judgement, fear and selfishness.

H
HIPPYISH/PLANT
ISHA GIRLS have a "go green" mentality in how they live their lives. They respect their bodies (exercise, eat right and get rest) and their Earth (reduce, reuse and recycle).

A
ACQUIRE further light & knowledge/OWL
ISHA GIRLS never stop learning. They are invigorated by obtaining new knowledge, broadening their scope and improving their minds through both temporal and spiritual study.

Sunday, August 1, 2021

BE STILL YOGA

It is easy to sweat...but do you have what it takes to BE STILL?


Hey there! My mom sometimes calls me her "granola girl"- I think "ISHA Girl" is more on point.  A "Ruling Goddess"?  Yes, that is exactly who my highest self is! 

I have always loved the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10.  Whenever I lead classes into shavasana I call it "Be Still Time" and as I have taught for almost 15 years the importance of being still means even more to me.

Let me tell you a little story about myself.

I knew I wanted to teach yoga ever since I fell in love with it over 20 years ago.  I taught from my home for years and taught groups of teens at my church for years-because I just loved doing it.  In Fall 2011 the stars all aligned and my dream of certifying came true.  I was certified through Peace Through Yoga's Teacher Training (200hour/6 month program) and graduated March 2012.

Rewind a couple years before that, I never could have imagined obtaining that goal amidst serving in a busy calling, running a household and also dealing with sudden loss of optimal health. From summer of 2009 to summer of 2010 I went from running 1/2 marathons and doing triathlons to not being able to get out of bed in the morning.  Migraines, painful sore throats, aching joints and muscles, hormonal imbalances and zero energy became my constant companions.  

I was so miserable July 2010 that I finally put my white flag up and admitted I couldn't possibly go another day limping through life pretending I could just push through it.  What ensued was a lot of traditional medical tests, a lot of "no answers from said tests" and a lot of prayers.  Prayers that eventually led me to functional medicine ("alternative" if you will) and more answers.  It was exactly where I needed to be in my journey to better health.


It was not an easy journey at that.  To regain my health took many months and I still am learning.  But now my "regular medical check ups" are done by a chiropractor, a acupuncturist, a naturalpath M.D. or my cranial sacral therapist.  Medical practices that were so foreign to me growing up, have now become my mainstays and I've never looked back.

It became apparent to me that...

1. What we EAT matters.
2. What we DO matters.
3. What we SAY matters.
4. What we THINK matters.
5.  How we handle STRESS most definitely matters!


Making "BE STILL" time every day through meditation, pondering, journaling, yoga or prayer is a crucial aspect of optimal health and happiness.  


After I was so sick I did not have the physique I did before and was initially frustrated trying to get back into yoga.  Exasperated feelings transformed into an epiphany one night at a yoga class.  I realized focusing on my breath and quieting the mind was so much more useful and empowering to me than focusing on my lack of strength.  I made room for patience and self-love that night.  With that new found confidence, I knew I would one day be even stronger than I was before I fell ill.  

I saw this come to fruition when I beat my 1/2 marathon time years later and I did it while pushing an 80 pound double amputee friend!

Focus on the mind-and the body will follow.  (Allow it to happen in God's time and with eternal perspective.) Being still creates space. Space for healing, for peace, for inspiration, for answers and for love to flow in.  

I hope you will find ways to create your own Be Still time.  And maybe that time will be with me in class next time I teach!

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved doing Yoga but this will bring a whole new intention to my practice. So powerful.

    ReplyDelete